Wednesday, October 2, 2013

CHAPTER 36 TO 40

CHAPTER 36 – Hey, Baby, I’m A Rockstar





– Ready? – smiled at Tom as the elevator got the ground floor.

– I am – he stepped out and looked back at her – But you're the one about to be attacked.

– Oh, yeah, cause I'm sure no one here is a fan of yours – laughed and then stopped right before the door in the hotel lobby that led outside, smiling at the security guards who were awaiting.

When the doors were opened, was taken by the image she hadn't yet gotten accustomed to. Two rows of fans, one in each side, started shouting for her, taking pictures and calling for her attention. With a wide smile, she gave a general wave and a "hello" to the crowd, aiming towards a fan holding her CD case and a pen. Tom, on his end, found that many of the people there had pictures of him or Loki, or else were really interested in his autograph as well.

– Hi, sweetie – smiled at the fan, who was grinning and emotional. – What's your name?

– Larissa – she answered loudly among the other sounds.

– Oh, very nice name – grabbed the CD case and the pen, signing over it "Larissa, lots of love from xxx" along her signature.

– Ms. – a security called by her side and she looked at him – Do you have much free time?

– Oh, yes, yes, it's still an hour before I have to go – she replied while smiling at Larissa and returning her belongings.

– Alright, so we'll set up a line and you can sign all autographs, if that's alright with you.

– Sure!

For the next hour or so, and Tom signed the autographs to all the fans who had been waiting outside the hotel, and were able to take pictures with most of them as well. Then, they got in the car and headed for the back stage of where Rock in Rio was happening.

– Hey, Johnnie – called for the guitarist, who had arrived a while earlier with the band and was setting the equipment. – About ready yet?

– Just in time, ma'am – he joked.

– Are we getting the dancers already?

– No, we're just passing the sound now, they'll be here later.

– Okay – smiled and went up to the prop stage.

Tom watched as and the band practiced the songs in order, with doing some basic moves for the choreographies in her heels and stretch pants. Later on, they were able to get on a replica of the main stage for a bit, as the actual one was already being set up for the presentations that day, so could do the routine with the dancers.

Later, at night, and Tom met Justin Timberlake and his band, along her own, for dinner, as he was performing the day after like .

– So how's Brazil treating you guys? – Justin asked as they waited for their meals over drinks.

– As smoothly as it could be – Tom smiled. – Even though it's winter...

– And almost warmer than London in the summer! – added – Are you disappointed? Do you wish you were melting to the ground?

– No, I'm definitely not complaining! – Tom laughed.

– What about you, ready for tomorrow? – asked Justin.

– Quite scared to follow up you, to be honest – he smiled, and laughed.

– Yeah, right!

The morning after, Tom and spent some time by the recluse part of the beautiful beach, and then had dinner at the hotel. Early in the afternoon, met an interviewer at a designed room in the hotel. Once the introductions and a previous talk was made, and the camera man was ready, the young woman started the questions

– So, , this is your first time in Brazil, how's it going?

– Amazing! It's such a welcoming environment, and a beautiful city, I wish I had more time!

– Have you done anything interesting so far?

– Well, I haven't had much time, actually, we've only got here and spent some time at the hotel, did the sound check... But at night we went to an amazing local restaurant, this morning I got to be at the beach... Hopefully tomorrow I can get to know some other places – she smiled.

– Hope you do! – the woman replied. – So, you said in an interview that you're taking some time off before the next album, and the first and second one came out in three years. Did you think that was a bad thing, too much pressure or something?

– No, it's not because of that, really. Between my first and second album, a lot of things were going on in my life, and I kind of just translated that into my music, you know? But after Bright Lights, I feel like... There were less changes, but more significant ones. And that affects my work, you know? – she smiled at the woman, who agreed with her head – And that's what I think is beautiful about being an artist, how it's a constant work of recycling.

– So we could say that this next album will be something more personal?

– I don't know... Not necessarily, I think it's more that my vision of the world that's changing, so I have a new way of telling stories.

– Now talking about this album, Rock In Rio will be your last concert in this tour. Are you excited about it?

– Very much so, yes! It'll be my biggest crowd, my second concert in Brazil, and like you said, last one of the tour. There's always a bittersweet feeling to that.

– And how was São Paulo on Friday?

– Oh, I loved it! I'd heard before that the Brazilian fans are really passionate, and I experienced some of it from Twitter, they'd send birthday wishes and were always so supportive... So it was great to finally live that, and be around that energy, it was really amazing.

– Well, thank you for the interview, and I hope you have a great concert tomorrow, I will be there!

– Oh, that's great, thank you! – smiled and the camera went off, so she and the woman talked for a bit longer.

*

– Alright, I'm off – Tom kissed 's cheek and she smiled at his reflection in the mirror.

– See you later, handsome – she replied, hearing his laugh before he wandered off to the VIP area.

About half an hour later, everyone was ready to go. was in her first outfit, the stage was dark, the band and the dancers were already waiting at it, and stood before it. When the beat started, some spotlights flashed and the doors opened, revealing her to the audience.

My Wicked Heart

How To Be A Heartbreaker

At the end of the second song, there was a break before the next one, and walked to the edge of the state while observing the gigantic audience. This was by then the biggest concert in her career. It was the biggest crowd, and the show was being streamed live on TV and YouTube.

– Hi you guys! – she shouted at the microphone, generating some more cheering – It's so good to be here! Those were Brazilian dancers you know. Love me some tropical boys!

The band's bassist and keyboardist moved on to the piano that was by the side of the stage, and walked back to the microphone.

– This next song is from my new album, but you guys have known it for a while now... – waited for the piano, and the audience cheered when recognizing the new album's first single.

Bring Me To Life

Disturbia

Kiss Of A Bullet

With the end of that song, the stage went dark, and went off. When it was lit up again, the band started a solo, which lasted for about a minute, before came back in her second outfit. She walked over to the piano and sat by it, adjusting the microphone closer to her, and waited for the audience to settle down, kicking off the next song.

Bleeding Love

Over The Love

My Immortal

After the end of the two songs, she stood up among the claps and walked back to the center of the stage, strapping on the guitar that the assistant handed her. She sat on the elevated seat by the microphone and looked at the crowd with a smile.

– How's everybody doing? – she asked, to which the crowd cheered animatedly – I'm having a great time as well... Brazil has been amazing to me, and I can't wait to come back... Alright, let's move on then...

The One That Got Away

As the assistant got the guitar back, got up and walked closer to the drummer, getting ready to introduce the band.

– I think it's time we make some introductions, don't you? – asked the crowd, taking the microphone off its support. – See, I'm not the only one who wants to say hi to this amazing crowd... Everybody, give up for Johnnie Bauder! – indicated the guitarist, who made a quick solo of his own, and then she went on to do it with the rest of the band. – Our drummer, Simon Jay! The ever-amazing bassist, keyboardist, and pretty much everything we may need, Christoph Dawson! And, of course, our beautiful backup singers, Jenny, Lila and Kelly! This is Blue Lightning!

vanished off once more during the second solo, which lasted a bit longer this time. She switched to the third outfit and came back to the sound of her next song.

Sweet Dreams

The Boy Who Murdered Love

S.O.S

– Alright, this is the last song now – smiled at the "aww" she received because of that, walking from one side of the stage to the other. – I want to thank every single one of you, I wish I could hug you all, you're amazing! This has been my biggest concert, and I've had a great time, thank you so much.

The clapping all around turned into cheer once the crowd recognized the song, which was, of her singles from the latest album, the best charted in Brazil.

Domino

– Thank you so much, Brazil, I love you!

screamed into the microphone and the lights went off. She still stood there for a few seconds, enjoying the loud cheers, and then walked off. She and the band members congratulated each other, as always, and someone brought her a bottle of water and a towel for her face. A few minutes later, she saw Tom walking by and beamed largely.

– That was the best concert I've ever been to – he declared while getting closer, and then passed his arm around 's waist and kissed her. – Seriously.

– Because you got to go backstage and kiss the star? – joked, and they both laughed. – Yeah, it might've been my favorite too. Did you see how many people there were? I couldn't believe it!

– Yes, it was breath taking... Especially this outfit – Tom looked down and laughed, jokingly slapping him in the chest.

THF 37 – How To Be A Heartbreaker


Do you know where your heart is?
Do you think you can find it?
Or did you trade it for something, somewhere
Better just to have it?

Do you know where your love is?
Do you think that you lost it?
You fought it so strong but nothing's
Turned out how you wanted

– Dad, will you please stop freaking out? – said on the phone while finishing her makeup in the bathroom.

– How am I supposed to calm down when my baby girl just told me she's sick?

– I did not say I was sick, I just said I was feeling a little weird!

– Exactly! You never feel weird.

– Well, just because I do doesn't mean I'm gonna get sick! It must be nothing.

– But—

– Put mom on the phone – interrupted and soon her mom answered – Mom, calm dad down, will you?

– Yeah, what is going on, anyway? – Lilly asked, confused.

– He asked me how I was doing and I said I was feeling a little weird, and if you know dad...

– If I know him he's considering flying there to be with you – Lilly answered and laughed – Don't worry, he seems better now...

– Okay, , tell you what – James got the phone back – If this a flu you're coming down with, I'm not even gonna call you to sing a lullaby every night.

– Oh, well, then I better prepare for the slowest recovery in my life...

– Alright, maybe I can send in good thoughts – James and laughed again – Well, I have to go darling... Send your husband a hug, will you?

– Of course.

– Bye Miss Potter, I love you.

– Love you too Mr. Potter – laughed at the nickname her dad still used with her after all these years – Bye.

– You're sure you're fine? – Tom raised an eyebrow.

– Yes! Don't be like my dad – laughed – I'm not feeling bad as if coming down with something... It's a bad feeling, like something's gonna happen. I don't know, it's nothing – she shook her head – Don't worry.

– Nothing bad is gonna happen, okay? It's gonna be a great day – Tom smiled and kissed her on the cheek. – I love it how you get a British accent speaking to your parents.

– And I love it when you get a Scottish one, speaking to your dad – smiled.

– I do? – Tom frowned.

– Yes! Full-on Scotsman, you never noticed it? It's really sexy.

– Well, maybe I'll try it more often then – Tom laughed.

– And by the way, you'll be out all day, how does that make for a good day?

– You'll be home almost all day, how does that make for a bad one? – Tom wrapped his arms around 's waist and she laughed. – Besides, I'm taking you out tonight.

– Really? – she smiled in surprise.

– M-hm, to that Italian place we always talk about.

– We're going on a date, then?

– Yes – Tom smiled. – Dates are fun, and we should never lose that.

– Yeah, you're right – looked at Tom and smiled, and then he leaned in for a kiss.

A while later, Tom and left for lunch at Olive and Jim's house, so they would catch up on the latest updates in their lives. They proudly presented the recently-reformed living room and told all about their country trip for a wedding, and and Tom showed pictures of their most recent trip, that the other two were so anxious to see. In the afternoon, Tom left for a photo shoot and was at home, going through old CDs.

– Hey, Johnnie – she answered the phone nonchalantly.

– Is that Sonic Youth? – he inquired to the song playing in the background.

– Bet your ass – she shouted back. – What's up?

, I... I broke my hand. I can't play in that charity.

– What? – wore down the smile and turned off the music – Oh my God, what happened?

– I fell off my bike, I'm all fucked up – he answered.

– Shit! I really wanted to do that gig – scowled.

– Well, you guys are going anyway, aren't you?

– Not without you!

– Come on, you should go. I can talk to Brad...

– No, no, we're not playing without you!

– So we're just... passing that, then?

– I guess so...

– Okay then. I'll call Dan and have him take him take care of everything then.

– Alright. Feel better – replied before hanging up.

A deep feeling of disappointment suddenly overcame . She was really looking forward to the charity event she'd be a part of, that was happening in about a month. Even though her tour was technically over, and she was completely satisfied with how the last concert had gone, this was a small, intimate thing, which she appreciated just as much. And for that very reason, she needed her whole band, her family, to be there with her. It would feel wrong without Johnnie. They'd all been together from the start. When she was on the verge of tears, shook the silly thought off, standing up and heading for the kitchen.

A couple of minutes later, she was sitting by the pool, sipping a glass of water, when she heard a knock on the door. Not expecting anyone, she walked by suspiciously, and opened door to find Mila, who she hadn't seen in a while, with a crying look.

– Mila! Are you okay? – she endearingly supported a hand over Mila's shoulder, leading her in.

– Not really. Chris and I had a huge fight – Mila frowned at , who arched her eyebrows in response. led Mila to the couch and then brought her a glass of water.

– Do you wanna tell me what happened? – asked while Mila took a sip of water, and after doing so, she rested the glass over the coffee table and looked straight into 's eyes.

... The reason we fought was... – Mila took a deep breath, closing her eyes, as if she was still trying to convince herself that that wasn't happening. – Chris is smoking again.

's expression was immediately washed down, and for nearly a minute she couldn't even come up with a response. Memories from a time she had no desire of remembering came flying back, and it was too overwhelming to hold that information alone, let alone how it led to the couple she adored so much to end up fighting.

– Are you serious? How did you... How did you find out?

– That's the worst part, he didn't even tell me! I had do find out from a fucking paparazzi picture of him in the set! – Mila frowned again, and brought her hand to her head. – And when I confronted him about it, he got so... violent! And so defensive, like it was my fault or something! It was awful.

– I'm so sorry, sweetie – took Mila's head in her shoulder when she started crying silently. – I know how irrational he can get when he's smoking.

After about two minutes of silence, Mila sat up and wiped her face. She then took a deep breath and looked down, pensive.

– I've never cared this much about a boyfriend before, you know. I mean, of course I wouldn't want any of them to smoke, but should they want to, it was totally up to them. Whatever they wanted to do, it's their life, you know?

– Well, but depending on how special someone comes to be, then their life is not just theirs anymore.

– Why is he doing this, ? – Mila looked up again – Do you think he's done with me or something?

– Oh God, no! It's not that! You know what, I'll go talk to him. I'm sure he didn't mean what he said to you. Believe me, he loves you very much.

– Yeah – Mila nodded with her eyes closed, holding onto that information. – I'm gonna go visit my parents for the weekend, maybe when I get back things will have cooled off.

– I'm sure they will, honey – smiled dearly.

As she watched Mila get on a cab, was deeply saddened with the thought of such beautiful relationship being ruined over such an idiotic thing. She remembered the time she fought with Tom and was getting just as mad now. And mad not exactly at someone, but at the universe, in general, for being so unforgiving. Why is love so goddamn hard?

But no, that wasn't it. That wasn't it.

Because love is easy. It's natural, simple, beautiful. And easy. What's difficult is overcoming the obstacles that love brings along.

After Mila went away for her trip, went straight to Chris' house. She usually didn't get that much in the way of her friends' lives, but on another hand, smoking was what she was most appalled by in the world. Especially when someone she loved did it. Especially Chris.

When Chris opened the door to the incessant knocks, he was surprised to see – especially because of her expression, unaware she knew of his fight with Mila.

– What the fuck did you do? – When realizing what that was about, Chris rolled his eyes and went inside, picking up a half-finished glass of scotch from the table.

– You talked to Mila – he said ironically, almost smiling, and walked in, shutting the door.

– Yes, I talked to Mila. And don't use that tone with me, I hate it!

– Then why don't you leave? – he replied without screaming, but using the anger still in him.

– Oh, you think I came here to just look at you and then go? I'm not leaving until you tell me what the fuck went through your mind when you smoked that cigarette.

, for the love of God. I just had this conversation with Mila, I'm not having it again. And I don't even owe her explanations. Or you.

– Okay, maybe you think you don't owe me explanations, because you're so recluse in your own little world that you can't see how this affects the people you love. But you can't do this to Mila. You can't do this to the best thing that ever happened to you. I just cannot believe you would risk losing her for something so stupid.

– Exactly, this is stupid! I just picked up a fucking cigarette on my break, and she went nuts!

– I meant this is a stupid reason to break up, not that what you did is not a big deal.

– Oh, you wanna talk about what big of a deal it was? You wanna talk about how I had a relapse after eight years? You have no idea what it's like!

– Yes, I do! – screamed in the same pitch Chris had – I do know what it's like, because I was there for you. I was there when you were trying to quit, day after day, and when you couldn't sleep anymore, and when you became so annoying that everyone else stepped away. I was there for all the side effects, and I didn't give up on you, even after you screamed incessantly and hurt me. Even after you literally hurt me.

Chris looked up to instantly, saying with his eyes that he could not believe she had reminded him of that. They said nothing for almost a minute. Chris looked down while playing in his head the memory of the day found a heavily-drunk Chris at the bar, and he said he wanted to go back to smoking, and kept trying to make go away, and she kept trying to make him stop, until he pushed her to the side with accidentally too much strength.

– I'm sorry I brought that up. But you need to remember the consequences. That time you didn't have a girlfriend. The only reason I didn't leave you was because you had no one else left. But we don't know how much Mila can take. And she certainly doesn't deserve to take all of this.

turned around and opened the door to leave, but Chris' sentence made her turn around.

– I was there for you, you know – he looked serious, trying to hold it together – When you were hurt. When you had fights with your boyfriends.

– And I'm doing the same thing now. You're just not realizing you're the one who hurt.

then left and rushed into her car. On the way home, some tears rolled down, which she unsuccessfully tried to hold. She didn't even know why did she get that agitated, and while she didn't find out, she just cried because she didn't want to lose her best friend. She wiped some of the tears off while the car was stopped at the sign, and just as she'd gotten back to driving, her phone rang.

She could only take a glimpse at it, but saw that it was Tom. For some reason – and she assumed it was because the universe was conspiring against her that day – the connection with the car wasn't working, so she couldn't pick up. After the call ended, the phone screen shone again: that was her tenth missed call. She rushed to get home and stormed out of the car when she did, and just before she got to the door she saw him. Tom had opened the door when hearing her arriving, and was strangely not so surprised at her crying look.

– he showed a comforting expression, and she ran and hugged him tightly, letting out a few tears. She found it weird he wasn't asking the reason for her crying, but just left it at that. He continuously ran his hand through her hair and then asked the question – You talked to your mom?

– No – instantly pulled away and looked at him in a serious tone – Why?

– Oh, I... I thought that's why you were crying – he said calmly, but was shocked.

– What? Tom, what happened? – she raised her voice slightly.

, calm down.

– No, you tell me what happened right now, just tell me! – she un-hugged completely and looked at him with a terrified look.

– Tom put his hands on her shoulder – Just breathe.

– No, I... I can't breathe! I had the worst day ever, everything that could go wrong did, and I have a headache that is killing me and my best friend is smoking again! So don't tell me to breathe, tell me what happened.

Tom shared another compassionate look before drying another tear from 's face.

– Your father... He had a heart attack.

CHAPTER 38 – Matters Of The Heart

If It's gonna be a rainy day
There's nothing we can do to make it change
We can pray for sunny weather
But that won't stop the rain

Feeling like you got no place to run
I can be your shelter 'till it's done
We can make this last forever
So please don't stop the rain

There was a moment of shock. Then there was a moment of crying. Crying a lot. And after that, just felt numb and disconnected, like Tom's voice was far away when he told her to grab some stuff and put in on a suitcase. She unsuccessfully tried to reach her mom while he did the packing, and kept trying to think of other things in their way to the airport, but couldn't. She could only think about her dad's smile. His voice, his jokes, his advices. His hug, unarguably for her the greatest hug in the whole of the universe.

– Tom called sweetly, bringing back to the present. She looked at him nonchalantly. – Your mom just texted me. He's gone into emergency surgery – he finished with his hand on her shoulder – And we have to go now.

barely even noticed when the plane took off. When the flight attendant came by, she asked for a glass of water, and even that seemed to not go down so well. After a couple of hours, Tom fell asleep, still worrying about . She kept turning from one side to the other, not being able to even close her eyes. She noticed Tom had woken up as well then and was looking at her.

– Am I keeping you up? – asked when Tom opened his eyes.

– Not directly... I just don't want to sleep. I want to take care of you.

– You... can't – 's eyes were moist again – It's not your job.

– Yes, it is. It's my job to make sure you don't get hurt, and to fix it when you do. I'm here, for better or for worse. Like I promised.

smiled and kissed Tom sweetly, and then rested on his shoulder and started crying again.

– Maybe we shouldn't have come so fast... Now we're stuck in here for eleven hours without being able to get any news...

– But you wouldn't be doing any better if we were back in L.A and you were trying to reach your mom on the telephone...

– Yeah, I guess.

– Plus, by the time we get there, he'll probably be out of surgery already.

– That's what worries me – replied as Tom ran his hand through her hair. – In what condition is it that he'll have gotten out.

The flight lasted a bit less than the prevision, but yet and and Tom hurried all they could through the airport. After sending their bags to her parents' house, they took a cab straight to the hospital. When getting to the surgical wing, saw her mother and quickly jumped in for a hug, while Tom greeted some other relatives that were present.

– Is he out? – asked when pulling back, before she started crying again.

– Not yet – Lilly answered, narrowing her eyebrows.

then greeted her aunt, uncle and great-uncle, and watched as Tom comforted her mother. A few minutes later, a young doctor walked by, getting mainly the attention of the ones who were already there before and knew he was involved in James' surgery.

– The surgery is taking a bit longer than expected – he cleared out as the group gathered around him. – There is a lot of damage to the heart, but we're working on it.

– But he'll be okay, right? – pleaded, feeling Tom's arm pass around her shoulders.

– I'm sorry, we don't quite know that yet – he replied calmly. – We're trying to repair all damage, but even if we succeed he might come to need a heart transplant.

– Oh my God – Lilly cried, being comforted by her sister. laid her head on Tom's shoulder, remaining silent while trying to absorb the information.

– I'll come back when I have more information – the doctor showed a compassionate look and walked away.

sat down, still silent at first, and Tom followed. They were all in deadly silence, her mother and the other relatives on the opposite seat. Then, a tear rolled down 's eyes, and suddenly her heart felt heavy. The more it sunk down on her what was happening, the dizzier and actively ill she felt.

– Make it stop. Please, make it stop – she cried.

Tom lowered 's head to his shoulder and held her tight, his eyes watering. He knew she didn't mean him, but all he wanted in that moment was to end all of that that was happening. Hell, if he could, he'd build her father a new heart out of scratch, just so he could live, and she could be okay again. Seeing her pain was one of the worst feelings he had ever felt. Almost an hour later, the three other family members had left, leaving Tom with and Lilly.

– I'll be right back – she stood up decidedly and walked over to the coffee machine.

– She's always hated hospitals, you know – Lilly said to Tom as they watched steps away in the hallway.

– I do... I think even more after what happened to us.

– You need to take her home – she looked at Tom.

– Oh, I... We can't leave you here.

– Yes, you can and you will. My sister will be back shortly. You go take care of .

– Okay. Okay then – Tom nodded and stood up, walking to . – , sweetie, do you wanna go home?

– No, I can't – she looked deeply into his eyes, her tired look piercing through him. – I don't wanna stay here, but I can't go home. I need an answer. A solid answer, yes or no.

– Alright – Tom put his arm around 's shoulder. – An answer. Then we go.

Then next half hour went by so slowly could've sworn that it was at least two hours. Watching the empty hallways, listening to random and distant sounds, thinking about her father opened up in a table, it was all so overwhelming she was on the verge of throwing up. Every time she tried to think of a good memory, the bad feeling ended up overcoming her. When seeing the doctor that had been there before approach with two others, her mind spun around, and she needed to hold onto Tom as they stood up.

– We were able to contain most of the damage – the cardiologist started out, and they all breathed relieved, hugging her mother from the side. – We still need to keep him under observation, because if he does not recover he'll need a heart transplant.

– But he's okay? – Lilly asked.

– He's still very weak ma'am, but we're hopeful that he'll improve better. We'll know more over the week.

– So there's a chance he won't need the transplant? – Tom inquired.

– Yes – the doctor answered. – We still don't know at this point, but hopefully he'll recover on his own. You can see him if you'd like, but due to heavy sedation, he'll probably only be awake by the morning.

spent about ten minutes observing her unconscious father, before she was convinced to go home and rest. Lilly chose to stay at the hospital, insisting that she didn't want her husband to be alone when he woke up, but that Tom and should go rest. They took another cab and got to her parents' house, settling in with their bags that had been delivered earlier. Then they sat down in the living room and spent half an hour just cuddling and talking.

– You're sure you're fine? – Tom asked as he put a lock of 's hair behind her ear, their faces near each other.

– I am. And I'm done crying – she smiled and then kissed him sweetly. Pulling back, she sat up and cleared her throat. – I, um... I think I'm gonna go for a walk. By myself, if that's okay.

– Sure – Tom nodded, but looked worried. – Is everything alright?

– Yes, yes, I just need to clear my head a little...

– Alright. Just don't take too long, okay? I'll make us some dinner. And call me if you need anything.

– Okay, I will – stood up and Tom followed. – I love you.

– Love you too – Tom hugged and kissed her, before she put on her coat and went away.

In the next forty minutes or so, Tom looked around for supplies in the kitchen, cooking up a simple pasta with tomato sauce, as well as preparing some fried chicken that he knew would help calm down. Before arranging the final preparations, he went back to the living room and started going over some of 's childhood photos. When she came back, she walked in on him sitting on the floor, smiling at the pictures, and a delicious food smell took over the room.

– Hmm, dinner smells so good – she smiled widely, and he stood up to greet her.

– It's almost ready.

– Okay then, I'm gonna go change, I'll be right back – beamed largely and kissed Tom quickly, before walking up the stairs.

When fifteen minutes went by and didn't come back, Tom got worried. He turned finished off the food and left it on standby, hurrying upstairs to 's old bedroom.

– Hey – Tom exclaimed when opening the bedroom door to find sitting on the edge of bed, crying – I thought you were doing better – he sat by 's side and put her head on his shoulder.

– I am – dried a tear with the back of her hand.

– Then what's with all the crying? – Tom asked and lifted her head, looking at him – Did something else happen? – he looked at her curiously and she nodded, arching the biggest smile on her face.

– Tom... I'm pregnant.

CHAPTER 39 – Pulse

Life changes in a second. And it's small things that do it. This, this wasn't at all a small thing, looking at the big picture. But in that moment, the plastic stick with a plus sign on it was a small thing, that had Tom and being thrown into a whole new life. Literally.

– Are you serious? – Tom said in a low voice after a whole minute of complete shock, which felt like an hour. But in a great way.

– Of course I am! – breathed out.

– I... Oh my god – Tom let out a laugh and hugged tightly, and she closed her eyes, letting the tears out again. Still in the hug, she could hear his husky voice fill her ears – , this... this is so great.

– Yeah? – she unmade the hug an looked at him closely, her humid eyes meeting the amazing gaze of his ocean blue ones, so close to hers.

Tom simply nodded and then they freezed that moment, as they'd done in many other important moments in their life. There must've been five entire minutes of them only drinking in each other's faces. He then looked at her stomach, making her beam largely.

– And you're sure of it?

– Well, I only took the test just now, but it all points to it, yeah.

– I can't believe it! – he dropped a tear while still looking down, and wiped it off with a smile.

– Why are you crying?

– I'm just so happy!

– Me too – she lied her forehead against his – But.. aren't you worried?

– About what? – Tom pulled away and looked back at .

– I... I don't know. This isn't exactly the best time. You're all around with movies, and then there's dad with...

– Oh, honey, don't say that – Tom hugged again, caressing her head – My press tour will be over in a month, you are already on vacation... and your dad will be fine. This is the perfect time.

smiled at Tom and lied back on his chest, wiping the rest of the tears away, as he held her tight, and they didn't say anything for a while, waiting for the information to sink in.

*

held Tom's hand tight as he sat by her side and she lied in the gurney, he blouse rolled up. They had driven to the hospital James was at, but instead went to find the gynecologist wing. They were hopeful they could get a quick consult, and the ob-gyn was available to give an ultrasound.

– Alright, I'm gonna put this gel on now... It might feel cold – the blond doctor smiled and squeezed the tube, dropping the gel over 's belly. She then very gently proceeded to roll the scanning device over the gel, and Tom and watched the screen intently. When they heard the heartbeat, squeezed Tom's hand tighter, and they both smiled. The doctor pointed to a small blotch in the screen. – There it is! And that is one strong heartbeat. Congratulations – she smiled at the couple.

A few minutes later, and Tom went up to the surgical wing, with the sonogram picture in hands. As they walked into James' room, was taken by the vision of her mom smiling by the bed, and then she saw her father awake.

! I was just about to call you – her mom stood up as ran into her father's arms. She hugged him strongly and tucked her head in his shoulder, and he hugged her back, kissing her cheek, while Tom hugged Lilly.

– Hey... – he started out in a weak voice, that accompanied his pale appearance. He then smiled and wiped one of the many tears flushing down 's face. – What's with all of that?

– Got it from you – she replied, laughing shortly, and he looked at her endearingly.

– Don't worry my princess. I'm right here.

smiled and dried off her tears, but then took a serious expression and pointed her index finger at James.

– You're retiring now – she proclaimed, causing the other three to laugh.

– I am, yes – he agreed, holding her hand.

– I'm serious though! You've said it before that you would, but you really need to stop now!

– I will, I will! I'll call from here and resign, and then I'll just help mom with the studio, okay? Promise.

hugged him again, now feeling much lighter, but still with the need to be constantly reassured that her father was there and was okay.

– Oh, sweetie, don't worry – he passed his hand down her hair. – I'm not going anywhere. I'll still be here for a long time... see my grandkids and everything.

At that last word, jumped up and looked at Tom. They shared a wide smile, which James and Lilly figured was simply from the mention of something that would happen in the future, until looked back at her dad, tearing up again.

– That might be sooner than you think...

– What? – James and Lilly brightened up, deducing what was coming next.

– Mom, dad... – held Tom's hand and looked at both her parents – You're going to be grandparents.

– Oh my God, ! – Lilly cheered, hugging her daughter, and then proceeded to hug Tom as cradled with her father once more. – When did you find out?

– I took a test last night, and a sonogram just now... Look – pulled the picture out of her coat's pocket, flashing it towards James.

– Are you sure that's a baby? – James observed, causing to laugh.

– Oh, honey, you have to go, right? – looked at the clock on the wall and then at Tom.

– Yep – he nodded – Off to China...

– Have a good trip, Tom – Lilly smiled dearly at him.

– Thank you. And you, sir, feel better – Tom supported his hand over James' shoulder. – Nice to see you up and well.

– Thanks, son – James smiled back.

– Are you sure you don't want me to come to the airport? – held Tom's hand as they walked down the hallway, towards the elevator.

– Yes, my love. You should be with your father.

Tom stopped and faced , smiling largely as she did the same. He ran his fingers down her hair, and they just stared at each other for a minute. Then, he involved her in a tight hug. She nestled in his chest, feeling like she fit there perfectly, as many times before. That's where she belonged.

– I'm gonna miss you so much – whispered.

– And I'm gonna miss you... You two – Tom smiled, and looked up instantly. It'd certainly take a while for her to get used to being a singular anymore.

After a long and soft kiss, they shared one more hug, and so Tom went away.

*

As the night came once again, looked out the window, trying to think of anything random. Her mom had her head laid on her shoulder, and was asleep, but past a few more minutes, she felt a tear drop on her shirt.

– Hey – comforted Lilly, who then lifted her head. – The doctor said it's simple this time. Dad's gonna be fine.

– I know, I know – Lilly shook her head and passed her hands through her face. – I just still don't believe all this. I was so scared, . I really thought he wasn't gonna make it.

hugged her mom tight once more, and caressed her hair.

– It's all gonna be okay. Just stop thinking of what's happened. Think of what will happen now – pulled back and smiled. – Dad's going to retire, and help you with the studio... You'll have plenty of free time to go places, travel... Visit us and the baby...

– Oh, I hadn't thought of that! – Lilly smiled, emotional, and they both laughed. – That is great... How are you feeling by the way, sweetie?

– Okay, I guess... I was feeling especially bad yesterday, but I figured it was because of dad.

– Well, you know, when I was pregnant with you, I barely had any of those morning sickness things...

– Hopefully I'll get that from you then – smiled.

Both women turned their attention to the door when hearing a gurney being rolled in. James was already awake, though his eyes were squinted and his head laid back. He instantly smiled when seeing his wife and daughter, who stood up right away.

– Everything went perfectly – the doctor, who walked behind the nurse that now settled the bed back in place, declared abruptly.

– Good as new, eh? – James joked.

– Better than new, I'd say – the doctor smiled widely. – Grandpa is gonna be just fine.

– Oh, I see someone's been talkative – said .

– Yeah, he's been telling the news even to strangers in the hall – the doctor made and Lilly laugh. – Congratulations, by the way.

– Thank you – smiled.

– I'll be back in the morning for some more tests, get some rest – the doctor closed the chart and walked away.

Since it was already late at night, the three only did a couple of minutes of catching up and making sure James was fine, before deciding where the girls would spend the night.

– No, I'm not going home – Lilly declared decidedly.

– But you should! Just go home with , get some rest.

– I've told you, I'm not leaving you all alone in here!

– Oh, God! – protested, opening up the hint of a smile – I can't decide which of you is more stubborn!

– It's probably you sweetie, since you're the epitome of it – James answered, making the two women laugh.

– You're right, cause I'm not going home either.

James and Lilly were later on discussing about some renovation they wanted to make at the house, when 's phone rang. When she saw it was Olive calling through Skype and walked to the hallway.

– Ollie – smiled when the video connection was established.

! How are you? I just saw your message! – Olive looked worried, having just read what had happened to James.

– Oh, don't worry, he's doing just fine... He went through the second surgery and the doctor said he can go home in about a week.

– He's gonna be fine then?

– Yes, he will – smiled once more, now sitting down by a seat in the hall.

– Oh, thank God! I was so worried! And what about Tom, is he there?

– No, he had to go, the press tour is starting tomorrow... By the way, is Jim there?

– Yeah, he's downstairs – Olive replied.

– Then call him up – smiled.

– Why? – Olive arched an eyebrow.

– Just do it!

– Okay... Jim? – Olive looked back and shouted. A few seconds past, he answered, and she asked him to come up.

– Hey, , how you doing? – Jim smiled at the camera.

– I'm great, thanks... I actually have something I wanna tell you guys... – straightened herself up, as the couple waited for her to share. – I'm pregnant.

– You're— Oh my God! – Olive shouted.

– That is great! Congratulations! – Jim smiled widely.

– I can't believe this! – Olive smiled. – How far along are you?

– About three weeks, the doctor said...

– Oh, how I wish I could give you a hug right now! When are you coming back?

– I'm not sure... But in about a week, I guess... Cause I want to be here with dad for a while longer, and Tom's not coming back before that anyway.

– Well, call me so we meet up!

– I will, I will – smiled once more. – Well I need sleep, so bye you guys.

– Okay, bye! – the couple smiled and waved goodbye, leaving smiling before walking back to her parents.

CHAPTER 40 – Together

♡ NULLERS CLIQUEM AQUI ♡

lied on Tom's chest, and his arms were wrapped around her. They had their eyes closed when he calmly kissed the top of her head, as the room remained silent. It had been about an hour since had gotten home, and after the two talked about how their trip went and how she was feeling concerning the pregnancy, they just lied together to enjoy each other's presence once more after two whole weeks, not allowing themselves to fall asleep just yet.

– I'm never letting you go again.

– You'll kind of have to, in about seven months – laughed.

Tom followed the laugh, and then held her just a little bit tighter, as she nestled in the spot below his own head.

– Do you already feel pregnant? Or is it some sort of surreal thing?

– No, I kind of do actually... I think my bump's already grown a bit, you noticed it?

– It has? – Tom looked down and moved his arm to the side.

– Yeah – lifted her sweater to reveal her growing bump. – Our little baby's getting noticed.

Tom then smiled widely and put his hand over 's belly, and so she put her hand over his, as they absorbed that peaceful moment.

The next day, Tom and stayed home for most of the morning, and then were separated for running some errands. In the afternoon, she went to do something she knew she couldn't – and didn't want to – postpone anymore. drove to Chris' with her mind empty, contrary to how she thought it'd be. The whole way there she just thought that now she had much bigger things going on, and hoped Chris would realize it too so they could be okay.

– Hey! – smiled instantly when seeing that it was Mila answering, and leaned in for a hug – You're here, that's a good sign...

– Yeah, it is – Mila grinned when pulling back. – Are you here to talk to Chris?

– Yeah – smiled and stood up – Guess it's my turn now.

– He's in the balcony, I'll see myself out – Mila smiled once more and walked to the bedroom.

When stopped by the door that led outside, Chris turned around and his expression melted. Unsure of what he wanted to say, he decided to jump in for a hug, which took gracefully. They said nothing for nearly a minute, only letting show that they wanted to go back to how they were. wanted to discuss the content of their fight, but was still carrying a lot of emotional weight of what had happened to her after that, so she decided to start with it.

– My dad had a heart attack.

– What? – Chris immediately pulled back, appalled – Is he... how is he?

– He's fine now, but he had to go under two surgeries.

– Oh my God, ! – Chris pulled her back in the hug and comforted her – I'm so sorry! When did this happen?

– On the day we fought... Then Tom and I flew there... I got back today.

, I don't even know how to start to make amends– Chris pulled back once more. – I'm so, so sorry...

– I know, Chris. I know you are – she looked at him affectingly. – But I hope that now you realize how much it does to your life to go back to that horrible thing... Even if it's just one tiny cigarette.

– I do, I do! That day I, I couldn't even sleep thinking of what I'd just done. You and Mila are some of my favorite people in the world, and I let you both down. I knew it wasn't worth it to try and find a way where what I did was acceptable. And I know you confronted me about it because you care.

– Well, that's great that you see that – smiled. – And it's not like I want to be right or something, it just really scared me that you were verging on getting back to being that person. I'm really glad that's averted.

– It's just... You know how I was, . When I smoked. And with Mila, I... I'm happier than I've ever been. So I thought that picking up that single cigarette would not change that.

– Well, you know it's never that simple. One cigarette and you're already back to being that jerk that screams at everyone and hurts them.

– I was afraid to lose Mila – Chris looked outside from the balcony. – When she walked out that door, after our fight. So that's my excuse for all the screaming. And I'm sorry.

– I guess my excuse was that I was all hormonal – put her hand over her belly, but Chris didn't notice it – Or that I just love you way too much... And... I don't want this baby to grow up without uncle Chris.

– What? – Chris looked at and took a while to make the sentence – Are you serious?

– Yes – smiled widely.

– Oh my god – Chris smiled and hugged – Congratulations! I can't believe this!

– Are you about to cry? – looked at him.

– Maybe... Am I really going to be an uncle?

– Yes! – laughed and Chris hugged her again.

– Mila! – Chris called and Mila drew by, softening her expression when seeing them hugging.

– Aw, you guys made up! – she smiled widely.

– I'm pregnant – blurred out, and Mila went shocked.

– Oh my God! That's so great! – Mila laughed and joined the hug.

*

– Finally you're home – Tom threw his head back from the couch when walked in.

– Hi – she smiled and kissed him from behind the couch – What are you watching?

– Wimbledon... The romantic comedy.

– Awesome! You know, I actually met Paul Bettany and Kirsten Dunst during that movie – increased her voice while walking from the kitchen.

– Really?

– Yeah! I was on vacation in London and had tickets to the game, and it was some of the days of the shooting. I only saw Kirsten from a distance, cause she was doing this scene almost all day, but Paul was on his break, I was actually able to engage a conversation. Lovely, lovely man.

– Oh, I imagine so – Tom smiled – Incredibly talented as well.

– I know, yeah, he's great – finally settled down on the armchair close to the couch, with a bucket of strawberries in hands. Then, she took of her shoes and put her feet over the center table, as Tom was doing.

– How was the anti-paparazzi mission today?

– Pretty good, I think – smiled while resting her head and grabbing her phone to go through it – In the morning, though, someone might've gotten me. Cause I ran into Rachel and we were at the Boulevard for quite a while.

– Oh, you did?

– Yeah, she's flying back to London tonight actually, but we could catch up a little.

– You told her about the baby? – Tom smiled.

– I did – smiled as well and went back to her phone – She was really happy and congratulated us and all...

– Oh, that's sweet.

– What the hell? – stared at her phone in shock.

– What happened?

– Wait... – she was silent for some seconds and clicked on the screen a couple of times – Oh my god! Look at that – she handed Tom the phone.

– WHAT? – Tom screamed, causing to laugh, when reading the headline " and Tom Hiddleston splitting?", which he proceeded to read out loud – "Could it the be the end for the Hollywood dream couple? Last week, actor Tom Hiddleston was spotted alone at an event in Los Angeles. And this morning, his wife, singer , was seen walking down the Boulevard without her wedding ring on". Whoa! These guys are good detectives!

– Apparently not good enough – laughed and got her phone back.

– Well, this conclusion is much more likely than me going alone because you weren't feeling good, and you leaving your ring home because your hands are swallowed...

– Yeah... Actually, this is great, cause it will definitely take the attention off my belly!

– Haha, yeah. Are you gonna call Amy?

– Hmm... I think I can just tweet something, what do you think?

– Yeah, yeah, to calm the people down... How are the fans doing?

– They're... exploding! – made Tom laugh – I logged in and everyone was practically screaming at me. Well, anyways, here we go. Make a pretty face – aimed the phone camera at Tom.

– Why? – he asked after smiling and giving a thumbs up, and she took the picture.

– You know... Gotta prove I've still got you – smiled and tweeted, attached to the photo, "NO ONE SPLITTING HERE! Here's the proof. One husband on my couch".

– Boy, do you know how to make fangirls go crazy – Tom laughed before retweeting what had just posted.

– I do – laughed as well.

– Why did you sit so far from me, anyway?

– I don't know actually – stood up to sit next to Tom, and he put his arm around her as she laid her head on his shoulder.

– And how is the baby today? – Tom put his other hand over 's belly.

– Making me fat – looked up with a smile and Tom laughed – No, but really, it's great. Supposedly I only got one month left of this... feeling sick and all. And then it gets really good.

– I love you – Tom caressed 's hair – I know you know that, but...

– Of course I do... but it's always nice to hear it. I love you too – smiled and kissed Tom.

The next day, Tom had to leave for an interview, and had the first appointment with her new doctor. Tom was regretting he wouldn't be able to go along, but assured him it was okay, since that was only the first of many opportunities.

– Hello, ! Nice to meet you! – the red-head doctor smiled when walking in, shaking 's hand.

– You too, Dr. Montgomery – smiled.

– Oh, please, call me Addison – she sat down on her chair, in front of . – So, you're eight weeks along, is that right?

– About so, yeah, but it was just a quick ultrasound...

– Well then, we'll get your blood in order to confirm it, officially, and then a more thorough check and an ultrasound so we can see how the baby's doing – she smiled after writing down some notes. – Do you have any questions?

– Um... I think right now I'm just curious to see the baby better...

– Yeah, we'll have more to talk about afterwards – she smiled and stood up, indicating to the room next to them. – You can go in in there, the nurse will assist you changing and take your blood, I'll be right there.

After about ten minutes, changed into the hospital gown, and the nurse who was in the room had taken her blood and left. She was sitting in a gurney, waiting for the doctor, when Tom called, so she reached for her phone that was in the desk near her.

– Hello?

– Darling, hi! Have you had the consult?

– No, but I'm about to. They've just taken my blood...

– Ah, dammit! – Tom cried – I was hoping to know how it went, but I have to go now!

– Don't worry! – laughed – Everything's fine, she's just checking again.

– I know, but I still want to know all the details!

– And you will as soon as you get home and go cuddle me on the couch – replied. – What time do you leave again?

– Ten.

– Oh... – instantly scowled – But okay, we can do this. I'll be waiting with food. And probably sleeping – she concluded, causing Tom to laugh loudly.

– Alright then, love, see you later. – Tom replied in a soft tone.

*

looked at the clock. Six twenty. Tom was probably between one appointment and the other. She could barely wait for him to get home so she could tell him how the consult had gone. She looked at the TV but only thought about her and Tom's future, rubbing her small bump and smiling widely. Suddenly, she heard a strange noise coming from behind her.

– Okay, look – heard Tom's voice and, as she turned back, he had just opened the door and was walking her way.

– Oh my god, Tom! – smiled.

– Yes, I know, I shouldn't be here, but the thing is I have two minutes free and I just had to see you, and know how the consult went, so you're just gonna have to sum up your day in one word. Go.

Tom noticed was having trouble letting out the word, and realized what that might've meant.

– Oh my god. You found out the sex. That's it, isn't it? Okay, just say it: boy or girl?

– No, it’s too early for that – laughed briefly.

– Then what happened?

And then a tear rolled down 's face, along with a smile, before she answered Tom's question:

– It's twins.

2 comments:

  1. OMG YOU NEED TO CONTINUE THIS STORY I'M IN LOVE, PLEASE KEEP WORKING ON IT. you've done an amazing job already!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! It's really great to know my work's being enjoyed by others just as much as by me... I'll definitely still keep going for a good while, got a lot of ideas on the works, haha :)

      Delete